Sunday, November 1, 2009

What a rude awakening!

At 6:13 am, or 7:13 am, or something like that (Damn daylight savings time's got me all messed up), a knock on my door. Casey immediately springs into guard dog action (who knew???), and starts yipping at the door. I sleepily grab my bathrobe, pray to God that my make up that I slept in isn't all over my face (that'll teach me!), and saunter over to the living room.

I open the door partly (which, Casey, true to character, now runs away, hiding behind a throw pillow on the couch), and am greeted by a man in a uniform asking: Miss, are you OK?

"Yes..." I reply, as I realize it's Police. At this moment, having dealt with Jakob and the fire, and still mostly sleeping, I immediately conjure up the idea that somehow the house is on fire, and I need to get out - I start thinking of where Casey's leash is, where my shoes are, and my cell phone. Then I realize - firefighter = fire, not police. A new realization hits me - what the EFF is going on?

"Okay, good. The guy upstairs called us to report that someone was trying to break down the doors in the house, and we wanted to check to see if you are okay."

"Oh my God! Yes, I'm okay...I haven't heard anything..." I start to feel sick...thankfully Casey decides this is a good time to be brave and come sit on my feet. Love her.

"Good to know, we're just going to walk around and check things out. Glad you're okay...keep your doors locked, just in case...sorry to wake you."

"It's quite okay, thank you..." I reply as I start to realize 1) HOLY CRAP! 2) He's really cute... and 3) well...I'm up now.

A few hours later, as I literally JUST get out of the shower, there's another knock on my other door. Awesome. Casey goes into guard dog mode again, barking in her little voice at the new knocker...

I throw my bathrobe on, hair in towel, barely dried off...and open the door. Casey again runs to hide, this time under one of the kitchen chairs. It's my upstairs neighbor, and the other girl who lives on my floor. He just wanted to touch base with us to let us know what had happened, and to remind us to keep all the doors locked.

While I appreciated his concern, I didn't appreciate the tone of which he reminded us to lock the doors...no kidding. I lock my door ALL the time. Even if I'm just going to check my mail! Remember? I'm the girl who locked herself out! Don't accuse me, Slappy.

And with that, I'm getting the hell out of dodge.

No comments:

Post a Comment